With Winter on the way, we often feel ourselves spending more time in the home. Whether that be snuggling up on the couch or sleeping in just a little longer in the mornings. What better time than now to roll up your sleeves and get your home feeling its best? Here we’ll dig a little deeper to help ensure your cleaning choices can also make your home safer and healthier. Let’s get started!
1. Open the windows and allow for more fresh air to circulate. When common household items like air fresheners and aerosol sprays, among others are used, it can compile to create polluted air in your home. This causing significant health affects on your family. Whenever possible, skip the scented aerosols and opt for clean, fresh air.
2. Dust everything. Not only is dust unsightly, it’s a common trigger of year-round allergies and it can harbor up to 45 different chemicals. But instead of chemical-laden aerosol sprays (see #1 above) or sticky waxes that attract more dust, allow the static charge of our super-plush Dusting Mitt to attract and hold onto dust, helping you keep surfaces cleaner longer.
3. Skip the spray cleaners. They could literally be making you sick. A long-term study showed that regular use of typical cleaning sprays caused declined lung function, decreased lung capacity and increased asthma rates among the women who used them. Why not shun the sprays and use Norwex® Microfiber and water to clean mechanically? Together, they can remove up to 99% of bacteria from a surface when following the (easy) proper care and use instructions. Bonus: Because our microfiber is super-durable, you won’t need to keep purchasing it over and over again.
4. Avoid bleach. It’s not good for you, your family or the planet. A European study found that using liquid bleach just once a week can increase your risk of COPD by up to 32%. And bleach in waterways can be toxic to fish and plant life. Just one ounce of household bleach requires 2,337 gallons of water to be safe for fish. Besides, there’s really no need for bleach with safe, effective Norwex laundry products in your laundry room.
5. Beware of hidden chemicals. They’re literally everywhere. From corrosive chemicals in oven cleaners and acids in toilet bowl cleaners, to the “fragrance” included in odor-masking products, chemicals can sneak in and do damage to your health. Keep caustic chemicals out of your oven and get it sparkling again with our Oven & Grill Cleaner. Use our Bathroom Cleaner to further reduce harmful chemicals. And instead of masking unpleasant smells with synthetic fragrance, allow the essential oils in our Toilet Spray to stop odors before they begin.
6. Choose reusable. Just the amount of waste generated by single-use wipes alone is staggering. It would take 9,000 18-wheelers to hold all the dry and wet mop pads, scrubbing tub/shower pads, disinfecting wipes, furniture wipes, leather wipes, microwave wipes, granite wipes and stainless steel wipes (not to mention personal cleansing wipes) that we use in just one year. These wipes are not readily biodegradable and usually require transportation over long distances to be disposed of. Instead, rely on reusable, high-quality products like our Mop Package, Stainless Steel Cloth, Textured Kitchen Cloth, Counter Cloths and Makeup Removal Cloth Set to clean more sustainably with water alone—no harmful chemicals and zero single-use waste.
Harmful chemicals and waste are enormous problems with far-reaching impacts, affecting not only our health but the health of our planet. It can seem a little overwhelming at times, keeping your family safe from their effects and doing your part for the planet. On behalf of all of us, thank you for every step you take toward a healthier, safer, more Earth-friendly way of life.